A 9.0 magnitude earthquake has affected nuclear power stations in Japan. ANS Nuclear Cafe began at | 0800 | 2011 03 11 | a media clip service on breaking news about the status of nuclear energy facilities in Japan. The news reports are in descending order based on time/date stamps where available or when posted.
Update: News reports continue March 20 of the nuclear energy crisis in Japan. Follow breaking news items via @djysrv on Twitter.
Regular blog posts will return to Idaho Samizdat on Monday March 21 assuming the crisis in Japan continues toward resolution. Significant progress is taking place March 20 with the restoration of external power to several reactors.
Also, this week ANS sent emails to its 12,000 members with updates about Japan's nuclear crisis. I am supporting this work at ANS which is why you are not seeing anything here.
See a special technical statement by ANS on Japan's nuclear crisis. Below are some additional sources of information.
Sources of information about Japan's nuclear crisis
- IAEA Tsunami & Earthquake updates
Alert Log & Twitter feed & Facebook & web pages
- Tokyo Electric Power - press release updates
- Japan Atomic Industrial Forum - status updates
- World Nuclear News - several updates daily
- Nuclear Energy Institute - updates on Japan's reactors
Fact sheet on radiation and Japanese nuclear reactors
- NHK Japan TV in English - continuous updates on earthquake & tsunami tragedies plus nuclear reactor news
- U.S. AID - Federal government humanitarian assistance to Japan
- U.S. State Department - Information for travelers in Japan
- American Nuclear Society Japan Relief Fund