We had over 50 people register for the webinar and over 40 of them were still with us at the 90 minute mark. Another 15 people listened in on an 800 phone line.
Dan Yurman (left) American Nuclear Society, and NRC Chairmain Gregory Jaczko (right) at a webinar session for nuclear bloggers held Oct 3. Over 60 people heard the 90 minute live session. (Photo credit: NRC)
I came to the session with over five pages of questions. Questions which were not answered in the 90 minute session will be answer over time on the NRC blog.
Under the ground rules that Laura Scheele, ANS, set with the NRC, as the moderator I had the discretion to ask the questions in any order I felt prudent and to ask follow-up questions. Over a third of the questions were follow-up.
Jaczko was pleasant, conversational, and well prepared for the session. He invested a lot of time in the event both before it and with a 90 minute live, unscripted session. The result "exceeded all expectations," said lead NRC spokesman Eliot Brenner.
The webinar was a collaborative effort of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the American Nuclear Society. Laura Scheele, Manager of Policy & Communication, led the effort for ANS.
Bigger than a breadbox
For our first of a kind event, at least as far as the NRC is concerned, we had a small mob scene behind the microphones. Those in the room included;
• Eliot Brenner, the NRC Chief of Public Affairs,
• Two aides to Jaczko including his chief of staff,
• An NRC IT guy to run the webinar software
• Two people from NRC running the video and sound recording equipment for the video and podcasts that will be posted on the NRC website, one of the them also took a series of candid photos (see above).
• Fritz Schneider, Clark Communications
• Laura Scheele, American Nuclear Society
Post Webinar News media & blog coverage
It was a bit of a blast from the past to be back in front of a microphone in a live session. I enjoyed every minute. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I have some additional thoughts on the future of video webinars over at CoolHandNuke.
# # #
# # #